The University of Mississippi seeks a proven lawyer and leader with demonstrated vision and the ability to execute for results to support and enhance the university’s educational, research and public service mission. The successful candidate must have a thorough understanding of the legal issues facing a public sector university; challenges and opportunities present at a large comprehensive research university or comparably complex enterprise; a comprehensive understanding of university and academic governance, intellectual property, employment, philanthropy, real estate, contracts, public-private partnerships, compliance, procurement and risk management; and an enthusiasm for advancing The University of Mississippi’s strategic initiatives.
The General Counsel serves as the chief legal officer to The University of Mississippi, the Chancellor, administrative officers, faculty, and staff when acting within the course and scope of their employment. The General Counsel leads a staff of legal professionals that provide legal counsel in the practice areas of governance; academic and student affairs; employment law; research; intellectual property; disputes, enforcement and emergencies; facilities, finance, procurement and business contracts; open government laws, constitutional law and health affairs; athletics, and direct support organizations. The General Counsel will also play a key role in coordinating with The University of Mississippi Medical Center on legal matters, working closely with its General Counsel.
The General Counsel is responsible for:
- Providing legal representation to the university in all legal matters, including interpreting laws and regulations and directing litigation
- Interacting with and representing the university’s interests to external agencies of the City of Oxford, state and federal government, including state and federal courts
- Supervising the associate and assistant general counsels and support staff and coordinating and supervising outside legal counsel in all assigned litigation and in other legal matters
- Serving as a partner and advisor to the University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Participating in the definition and development of policies, procedures, and programs and provide continuing legal counsel and guidance on all matters
- Advising senior leaders on a broad range of federal, state, and local regulatory and compliance matters
- Actively participating in executive level meetings related to the future direction of the university
- Advising on the legal aspects of student activities including student discipline, admissions, financial aid, housing, athletics, and student conduct
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. The University of Mississippi offers a generous benefits package that includes insurances such as health, life, and dental as well as vacation, sick leave and personal days.
Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited institution; licensed and in good standing as a member of a state Bar; must be a member of the Mississippi Bar or become a member of the Mississippi Bar within 12 months of employment; a minimum of ten years of experience as a practicing attorney and prior experience in the supervision of legal professional and paraprofessional staff.
Apply here: https://jobs.olemiss.edu/postings/13358