The University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) seeks an experienced and effective leader for the position of Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel. As a member of the Vice Chancellor’s leadership team, the Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel is responsible for the legal affairs of UMMC and provides internal legal advice and counsel across a broad and diverse range of substantive legal areas including university and academic governance, intellectual property, employment, philanthropy, real estate, contracts, public-private partnerships, compliance, procurement, and risk management.
Ideal candidates for UMMC’s Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel will be collaborative leaders who embrace UMMC’s mission and culture, possess strong senior administrative experience, and superb communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to deal with and manage the challenges facing institutions of higher education and particularly academic medical centers is considered critical to the success of an individual in this role. In addition, the ability to effectively coordinate the work of numerous other attorneys is a necessary skill.
The Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel is responsible for:
- Providing legal representation to UMMC in all legal matters, including interpreting law and regulations and directing litigation.
- Responding to legislative, legal or public inquiries regarding legal information related to UMMC.
- Interacting with and representing UMMC’s interest to external agencies of the state and federal government, including state and federal courts.
- Supervising the office’s attorneys and support staff and coordinating and supervising outside legal counsel in all assigned litigation and in other legal matters.
- Reviewing policies, procedures, contracts, grants and license agreements for compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Coordinating with the University Of Mississippi Office Of Legal Affairs on significant policy and legal matters.
- Coordinating litigation proceedings conducted by the Office of the Attorney General on behalf of UMMC.
Nominees and applicants must hold a Juris Doctorate from a school or college of law accredited by the American Bar Association. Mississippi Bar membership in good standing or licensure in good standing in another state on the date of initial employment and licensure to practice law in Mississippi within one year of initial date of employment. At least 15 years of experience in practice or as house counsel, including experience in leading and interacting with attorneys and clients in dealing with material complex matters.
Qualified candidates should confidentially submit their current resume along with a supporting cover letter of interest electronically c/o: Perry Sansing, Associate General Counsel and Special Assistant to the Chancellor for Government Affairs; email@example.com
The University of Mississippi Medical Center provides equal opportunity in any employment practice, education program, or education activity to all qualified persons. The Medical Center complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information. Inquiries or complaints may be referred to the Office of the Director, Employee Relations, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216-4505.