Salary: $5,916.67 - $12,733.33/MO
Final Filing Date: 03-12-2018
Under general direction of Director for Employee and Labor Relations (E&LR), provide labor relations support to management by representing UC Davis in grievances, arbitration, administrative reviews, labor actions, bargaining and meet and discuss/confer sessions. Respond to demonstrations on campus, advise campus managers and supervisors on employment and labor issues, and conduct campus training. Assure consistent application of agreed upon labor relations philosophy to assigned contractual and non-exclusively represented units.
- J.D. or pending J.D. (employment law background preferred) or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in labor arbitration advocacy or related field or activity.
- Experience practicing law in a trial setting or representing clients at administrative hearings.
- Knowledge of the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) and other public sector labor laws, including: scope of bargaining, contract compliance, standards of unilateral changes, union notice requirements, and public sector labor union behavior.
- Knowledge of Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) administrative procedures for unfair labor practice charges, unit modifications, and unit requests for recognition.
- General knowledge of labor and employment laws, including other public sector labor laws, National Labor Relations Act, Labor Code, Fair Labor Standards Act, etc., including recent developments and practices, applicability to the public sector, desirability to implement through contracts, and probable impact on arbitration decisions.
- Knowledge of the Information Practices Act, Public Records Act, and HEERA requirements for information release, including release of personnel type records, creation of data for bargaining.
- Skills writing clear, concise, analytical, legally correct, accurate and persuasive briefs; appeals, motions, settlement agreements, and management positions.
- Skills acting as management advocate in grievances, arbitration, unfair labor practice charges, and meet and discuss/consult sessions, including preparing witnesses, examination and cross-examination, and oral opening, closing, and motions.
- Skills functioning in a demanding environment to resolve conflict/confrontation situations among emotionally distressed and frequently uncooperative parties.
- Skills analyzing labor relations information, data, problems, practices, or procedures to define problems and objectives, consider alternative solutions and consequences, and propose solutions.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Mail programs.
- Knowledge of UCD Staff Personnel Policies (PSS & MSP) and existing union contracts including thorough knowledge of the various grievance processes and the standards for decision making in each process.
- Skills to use PPS and other University applications.
- Analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Requisition number #03020973
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer