General Purpose: The Yale University Office of General Counsel is seeking an attorney to work with senior in-house counsel who provides legal support for all aspects of the University’s research and technology transfer portfolio. The individual will work independently and/or assist senior attorneys in any number of the following areas:
- Review, edit, negotiate, and draft contracts for research resources, including corporate sponsored research agreements, foundation and government grants, research collaboration agreements, material transfer agreements, equipment and software donation agreements, and NDAs.
- Review, edit, negotiate, and draft license agreements pertaining to technology transfer.
- Advise and train non-General Counsel staff on contract review.
- Ensure that transactions are consistent with federal, state, local and contractual compliance obligations, such as conflicts of interest, human and animal subject regulations, cost accounting and export controls.
- Provide advice and support to Yale’s academic departments and research compliance units on meeting regulatory requirements.
- Participate in developing legal infrastructure including form contracts and contract review guidance materials for department-level administrators and contract reviewers.
- Assist management in structuring deals to advance institutional interests.
- Safeguard the institution’s interests in academic freedom and intellectual property in collaborations with outside entities.
Required Education and Experience: J.D. and five to seven years of experience in a related area.
Required Licenses or Certifications: Admission to the Connecticut bar at the time of, or within one year of, hire.
- Proven ability in contract review, drafting and negotiation. Proven ability in structuring complex multi-party transactions.
- Proven ability in critical thinking, and oral and written communication.
- Proven ability in legal research skills and regulatory analysis.
- Proven ability to respond quickly and to prioritize many active projects.
- Proven ability in client counseling, working in multi-disciplinary teams, and exercising sound judgment. Proven ability to work independently and take initiative.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2zHm8sA. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.