Assistant General Counsel - Compliance
Staff - Full-Time
Utah Valley University invites applications for the position of Assistant General Counsel – Compliance. Under the direction of the General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel – Compliance will focus on statutory and regulatory compliance, coordinating university-wide compliance, and providing legal support to various compliance centers at the University. Practice areas include conflicts of interest/ethics, the Higher Education Act, the Clery Act, Title IX and related laws, Title VII and related laws, disability laws, sponsored research, protection of minors, Institutional Review Board/Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee compliance, and others as assigned. This position will also assist with policy development, training, investigations, hearings, and other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be expected to work at the highest professional level of integrity, to exhibit excellent judgment, and to take ownership in providing responsive, high quality, and professional legal services to university clients. University attorneys are expected to demonstrate teamwork, inclusiveness, and adaptability to a broad range of issues, people, and situations.
A Juris Doctorate from ABA-accredited law school is required. Must be licensed in the State of Utah, in good standing with the Utah State Bar, and have at least three (3) to five (5) years of substantial and progressively responsible legal experience practicing law. Applicants not licensed in Utah must be licensed and in good standing in another state and willing to become licensed in Utah.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to interact effectively, develop, and maintain productive working relationships with a variety of individuals, departments, and constituencies.
- Superior writing and research skills.
- Outstanding verbal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Intellectual acumen and flexibility to analyze, interpret, present, and write about complex issues clearly and concisely.
- Superior organization and coordinating skills.
- Detail-orientated and meticulous practitioner.
- Ability to work at the highest professional level of integrity, to exhibit excellent judgment, and to take ownership in providing responsive, high quality, and professional legal services to university clients.
- Ability to demonstrate teamwork, inclusiveness, and adaptability to a broad range of issues, people, and situations.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Strong computer fluency skills, including legal and other research skills.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Experience in a law firm and/or in an in-house corporate or higher education setting with primary focus on relevant subject matters.
- Specific experience representing colleges or universities is desirable but not required.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Providing legal counsel to compliance departments and on the statutory and regulatory laws applying to higher education, including but not limited to the Higher Education Act, Title IX, Title VII, Clery Act, disability laws, sponsored research, conflicts of interest/ethics, protection of minors, export/import control, Institutional Review Board/Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee compliance, sponsored programs/grants.
- Experience conducting investigations and/or in handling administrative hearings.
- Experience providing compliance training.
- Experience with OCR and EEOC matters.
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package, including UVU contributing 14.2 percent of salary to a retirement plan, a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, and tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents.
Advertisement Number ST32217
Open Date 09/14/2017
Review Start Date 09/24/2017
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * Do you meet the following minimum qualifications: A Juris Doctorate from ABA-accredited law school and must be licensed in the State of Utah, or have ability to become licensed within six months to practice law in the State of Utah, must be in good standing in the Bar(s) where candidate is admitted; plus three (3) to five (5) years of substantial and progressively responsible legal experience practicing law.
Documents Needed to Apply
- Unofficial Transcripts # 1 , License or Certification
- Other Document #1
- License or Certification