Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is seeking an experienced Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access and Title IX Coordination. SIUE is a nationally recognized university that provides students with a high-quality, affordable education that prepares them for successful careers and lives of purpose.
Reporting directly to the Chancellor of SIUE, the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access and Title IX Coordination serves as the University’s Title IX Coordinator, ADA/Section 504 Coordinator, and the institutional officer responsible for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action compliance, and compliance with other State and Federal harassment and discrimination laws, regulations and University policies. The Director interacts closely with the Chancellor, Chief of Staff, Office of Human Resources, Office of General Counsel, Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion, Vice Chancellors, Deans and Directors to ensure compliance in these areas, and to foster cooperation and collaboration among the diverse groups of various campus constituents. This position also provides administrative leadership to the SIUE community by ensuring equal opportunities for all persons while maintaining an environment of nondiscrimination by offering services and resources through guidance, educational programs, training and outreach.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the University’s efforts to comply with statutory and regulatory requirements in the areas of Title IX, Title VII, ADEA, Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Preventing Sexual Violence in Higher Education Act, and other relevant state laws.
- Oversee and conduct the receipt, investigation and resolution of discrimination and harassment complaints, including Title IX complaints, by students, employees and others protected under State and Federal laws and regulations, the University’s non-discrimination and non-harassment policies and/or the University’s Affirmative Action plan.
- Develop, implement and evaluate plans and policies to employ minorities, females, persons with disabilities, veterans, and other protected classes through affirmative action and equal opportunity programs, in conjunction with the Office of Human Resources.
- Develop and update hiring/search guidelines and provide training and consultation to search committees regarding the University’s hiring processes; and monitor applicant pools to support and ensure compliance with equal opportunity, affirmative action and diversity goals.
- Oversee University-wide education, training, and outreach programming related to Title IX, and the prevention of all forms of discrimination and harassment.
- Receive and process requests for accommodations from employees, applicants for employment, and third parties; and receive and process complaints related to the accessibility of University facilities.
- Monitor, review and analyze University processes and systems, and make recommendations/advise departments regarding Title IX, ADA, and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity compliance responsibilities.
- Serve as liaison between other University departments concerning the delivery and tracking of training and informational sessions regarding discrimination and harassment laws.
- Draft and implement policies and procedures as needed in furtherance of the laws, policies and plans related to areas of EOA responsibility.
- Maintain current knowledge of the laws, policies, procedures and best practices with regard to areas of responsibility.
- Produce the annual Minority, Women and Disabled Students, Faculty and Staff Report, as well as the annual Affirmative Action Plans.
- Masters, JD or other advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in equal opportunity/affirmative action, ADA compliance, Title IX compliance or other relevant experience, with progressive levels of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate, analyze and resolve complaints, while maintaining objectivity and fairness.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive situations and matters with diplomacy and superior judgment.
- Evidence of excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal/human relations skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment, with individuals of different levels of academic preparation, socioeconomic status, abilities and positions.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with senior leadership, faculty, staff, students, and community constituents.
- Experience developing and implementing training programs for individuals at various organizational levels.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in higher education setting.
- Fiscal management experience.
- Prior supervisory experience.
Salary to commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package.
Application Process & Deadline
Applicants must submit (upload) a cover letter summarizing the experience, interest in the position, key achievements and addressing the listed responsibilities and qualifications, resume, unofficial academic transcripts, including those for SIUE, and telephone numbers and addresses of at least four professional references who may be contacted later in the search process (advance notification to the candidate will be provided) through HireTouch.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled with priority consideration for applications received by March 16, 2018.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workforce. We will not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation or veteran’s status. We encourage applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and people with disabilities. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Acts (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, please call 618-650-2190 or email EmploymentHR@siue.edu.
The SIUE Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://www.siue.edu/securityreport. The report contains campus safety and security information, crime statistics, fire safety policies, and fire statistics for the previous three calendar years. This report is published in compliance with Federal law, titled the “Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act” and the Higher Education Opportunity Act also known as the “Campus Fire Safety Right to Know.” For those without computer access, a paper copy of the report may be obtained, with a 24-hour notice, from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Rendleman Hall, Room 2228, 618-650-2536.