The Assistant General Counsel will provide advice and counsel to administrators and work teams on the application and development of policies and procedures related to student issues such as academic and non-academic misconduct, admissions, discrimination and harassment, first amendment issues, student organizations, residency appeals, financial aid, visas and FERPA. This position will also oversee the District’s compliance with Title IX, VAWA, Section 504 and the ADA (including student academic adjustments and requests for course substitutions), Title VII, and other state and federal obligations. Duties may include providing training to students, faculty and staff. This position also works with the Director of Risk Management on evaluating claims, and supervises outside counsel claims against the District. This position advises regarding public records requests. This position assists other members of the Legal Department as necessary
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited United States law school and licensed to practice law in Arizona or eligible to be admitted to the Arizona bar within one year of employment.
- Five (5) or more years of broad legal experience, including experience representing and advising public clients and/or institutions of higher education.
- Strong written communications skills, as demonstrated by cover letter and writing sample.
- Experience with law related to institutions of higher education.
- Experience advising, overseeing or managing effective compliance programs.
- Experience working as an individual contributor and collaboratively as a team member in a confidential, time-sensitive and customer-responsive office.
- Experience managing a large and varied workload of assignments with conflicting priorities and completing work by prescribed deadlines.
- Experience with project management such as setting project objectives, determine and address potential barriers; identify required resources, identify process steps and milestones; and adjust action plans to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience with interpreting and implementing complex policy, technical and legal concepts to a wide variety of situations, and using judgment in resolving related issues and problems.
- Experience with broad and diverse constituencies at all levels of management, with strong customer service orientation and skills.
- Experience with diversity, equity and inclusion in a professional setting.
To apply: https://hr.maricopa.edu/jobs, search for job number 310266.