Staff Counsel (Employment) – Office of the General Counsel
The Staff Counsel (Employment) assists in the provision of general legal services to the University, focused primarily on a full range of employment and student affairs matters. Reporting to the Vice President and General Counsel, the Staff Counsel works day-to-day with the senior attorneys in the office who are primarily responsible for employment and student affairs matters. Duties include but are not limited to:
Research and Advising
Assists the senior attorneys in the office in research and advising on labor, employment and benefits law, as well as legal issues related to student life, academics, and welfare matters.
Assists the senior attorneys in the office in general contract review.
Assists the senior attorneys in the office with other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate
- D.C. bar membership (or immediate eligibility for such membership)
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a practicing attorney and/or judicial law clerk – preference for experience in employment and civil rights law, higher education law, and/or general civil litigation
- Well-developed analytic and writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Collegial working style, sound judgment and flexibility
This is a one year term position, with the possibility of renewal for an additional year.