Posting Number: NONAC1186
Job Title: General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
Position Title: General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
Position Type: Non-Faculty
Department: Office Of General Counsel
Morehouse School of Medicine is currently recruiting a talented and experienced leader to serve as general counsel and corporate secretary. The general counsel is responsible for the supervision and management of all legal affairs at Morehouse School of Medicine and Morehouse Health Care. Reporting to the President and Dean the general counsel serves as a member of the executive leadership team.
The General Counsel General Counsel & Corporate Secretary is the chief legal advisor to Morehouse School of Medicine (“MSM”) and is a senior advisor to the President and Dean of MSM and to the Board of Trustees. The General Counsel & Corporate Secretary assists the leadership team in fostering an open and ethical environment for all members of the MSM community and its partners.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Direct the legal affairs of MSM on all topics that affect higher education and academic medical centers with research and clinical operations including employment matters, employee benefits, litigation, real property, risk management, contracting, procurement, information security, inventions, copyright and other intellectual property, and state and federal regulatory matters
- Serve as legal advisor to the President and Dean, Board of Trustees, Morehouse Healthcare, Morehouse Choice Accountable Care Organization, senior administration, physicians, faculty and staff
- Provide guidance on a variety of transactional, regulatory and contractual healthcare issues that include analysis for compliance with applicable healthcare laws (STARK, HIPAA, Anti-Kickback Statute, Affordable Care Act), Medicare/Medicaid regulations, managed care contracting, research funding agreements, and clinical research
- Provide legal representation, opinions, advice and counsel to all senior administrators of MSM on matters of institutional concern
- Provide leadership regarding local, state and federal government relations
- Supervise relationships with outside counsel, including review and authorization of payment of fees
- Provide information on changes in laws, policies and procedures, regulations and trends that could affect MSM
- Proactively review and propose revisions to existing policies, identify the need for new policies, or recommend the deletion of obsolete policies
- Ensure institutional compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements
- Oversee any investigations by a governmental authority of any department of MSM
- Approve compliance and safety communications to MSM employees, faculty and staff as appropriate
- Ensure alignment with Strategic Plan by all MSM committees
- Advice to the Board of Trustees
- Serve as Secretary to the Board;
- Serve as liaison and primary resource to the Board to educate and inform the Board in its role of oversight, ethics, compliance, governance and leadership of MSM;
- Conduct new Board member orientation, annual committee charter reviews, and bi-annual By Laws review;
- Ensure the Board of Trustees is informed of all formal action taken by MSM and the status of any major litigation;
- Oversee the planning, governance and follow-up for all meetings of the Board of Trustees;
- Maintain minutes and records of the Board of Trustees;
- Update the Audit and Compliance committee and overall Board, as appropriate, on legal and risk management matters of MSM
- Assist in fostering an environment for speedy and fair resolutions of concerns and complaints
- Maintain relationships with appropriate professional and accreditation associations
- Provide administrative oversight of the Office of Legal Affairs
- Develop and manage the divisional budget
- Other management duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional analytical, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Adaptable to changes in responsibilities to suit organizational needs
- Ability to manage and train others
- Ability to initiate and implement strategic change
- Demonstrated strengths in executive leadership, including vision-setting, strategic and inclusive leadership, effective internal and external communication, and collaborative teamwork with multiple constituents
- Ability to effectively monitor and manage multiple projects
- Understands and is adept at using technology attendant to legal and business needs
- Appreciates and preserves MSM’s good working culture
- Experience in developing innovative approaches to protect MSM and maintain its ethical and cultural environment
- Resourceful, creative, and outcomes-oriented approach to implementation
- Demonstrated commitment and contribution to fostering and advancing equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Experience directly managing or supporting leadership in managing controversial and/or high profile issues.
- High ethical standards with a strong commitment to legal ethics as exhibited in knowledge and practice, professional responsibility and application
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Juris Doctorate(JD) from a regionally accredited law school and have at least ten (10) years of experience as an attorney, with at least 5 years’ experience as general counsel in a healthcare or educational institution. Licensed or license eligible to practice law in the State of Georgia. Must hold current membership with the State Bar of Georgia or obtain membership within a reasonable time after employment.
Posting Date: 02/20/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants: You are required to completely fill in the application ensuring that all fields are completed. Please do not enter see resume or other like comments.
- Professional License
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample