Title IX Investigator
Vacancy #: 920307
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: 11-08-2017
Organizational Unit Overview
The Office for Equity and Diversity is designed to serve students, faculty and staff and provides leadership to university’s efforts to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment, and maintain equal opportunity compliance in accordance with federal and state laws. The office promotes equity in educational opportunity, programming, and employment, and promotes an environment of diversity, respect and inclusion for all members of the university community.
The Title IX Investigator is responsible for investigating complaints of Prohibited Conduct under the University’s “Regulation on Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence” and will ensure effective and efficient management and resolution of complaints. The Title IX Investigator reports to the Title IX Compliance Officer and is responsible for the following job duties and responsibilities.
- Intake complaints and assess appropriate resolution process and procedural protocol to be followed. Provide consultation and education to students, faculty, and/or staff on harassment, discrimination, sexual misconduct, interpersonal violence, related retaliation, policies, procedures, and options for resolution of complaint matters.
- Investigate complaints of Prohibited Conduct filed by students, staff, faculty, or visitors in compliance with federal and state laws, executive orders, and University policies and procedures. Process within specific time constraints investigations, analyses, and report findings and conclusions of complaints filed with the OED. Ensure effective, efficient, thorough and impartial investigations while ensuring attention to detail and accuracy regarding facts, relevance, and investigation documentation.
- Investigation duties will include, but not limited to: develop an investigation plan, analyze complaint to identify allegations, interviewing complainant and respondents, identify and interview witnesses, identify and collect relevant documentation, appropriately document interviews and other investigation findings according to the OED investigation process format, and analyze information gleaned from investigation to determine findings.
- Conducts a thorough and well-documented investigative process by gathering and documenting evidentiary material. Maintains accurate and thorough records and notes of investigatory process. Develop comprehensive, unbiased written reports that include a written analysis and findings from the complaint investigation to the appropriate University office or administrator in accordance with applicable University policies and the OED investigation process format.
- Provide regular updates to the Title IX Compliance Officer, Associate Provost, and OED Case Management team about case management approach, status, and progress.
- Prepare materials for, assist with, and participate in appeals hearings, as assigned.
- Facilitate, within specific time constraints, informal resolution of complaints, when appropriate. Document efforts and conclusion of informal resolution.
- Interact with students, faculty, managers, administrators, and employees at all levels of the University in performing investigative and informal resolution duties. Collaborate with the Office of the University Counsel with investigations involving the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Office of Civil Rights, and North Carolina Office of State Human Resources complaints, as well as complaints raised by other applicable outside agencies, organizations, and constituencies.
- Works collaboratively with key partners in the University community to investigate and resolve complaints filed under Title IX, including but not limited to, the Office of University Counsel, Office of the Provost, Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, and the ECU Police Department.
- Provide education and training to students, faculty and staff on issues of prohibited harassment or discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence, as assigned.
- Provide other services as assigned.
- Masters, J.D., or Advanced Degree; or Bachelor’s degree with relevant education and experience. All degrees should be from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting investigations.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment and interact with culturally diverse individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Evidence of excellent written and oral communication, and human relations/interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of necessary analytical skills to determine whether a policy violation occurred by the applicable standard of evidence.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- At least 3 years of experience conducting investigations in a higher education setting.
- At least 3 years of experience interpreting federal and state equal opportunity laws and regulations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Applicants must submit (1) a cover letter that outlines how their experience and qualifications specifically align to this position, (2) a curriculum vitae/resume, (3) two redacted writing samples related to an EEO investigation, (4) a redacted sample investigation plan related to an EEOinvestigation, and (5) a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Additionally, applicants should arrange for three letters of recommendation that speak directly to their qualifications for this position to be submitted directly to:
Search Committee Chair
East Carolina University
Office for Equity & Diversity
Old Cafeteria Bldg Suite G406
Greenville, NC 27858
Application Types Accepted
Applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by the closing date of 11-08-2017 to be considered. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 920307 to ECU Human Resources at http://www.jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/9453