Responsible for the overall management of all legal issues affecting Dickinson College. Provides counsel to the Board of Trustees on matters of non-profit law and board governance. Advises the president and other senior staff regarding a wide range of legal issues, including, but not limited to, contracts administration, gifts and development, non-discrimination, conflicts of interest, student affairs, athletics, intellectual property, personnel and employment issues, academic freedom and tenure issues. Provides legal consultation services to staff and faculty regarding institutional issues. Coordinates and oversees all litigation involving the College, and selects and supervises outside counsel retained by the College.
Essential Duties Include:
- Provides legal advice or consultation to the Board of Trustees, President, administration and faculty through administrative channels. Reviews and recommends institutional policies, procedures, guidelines and other documents as needed. Assesses potential legal exposure and concerns brought to the attention of management and advises College leadership.
- Evaluates and determines need for outside counsel. Oversees outside counsel budgets, issues contracts for legal services and retains outside counsel when appropriate on behalf of the College. Coordinates the representation of the College in all legal proceedings/actions, and maintains contact with outside counsel.
- Assumes responsibility for all legal processes necessary to protect the privileges and rights of the College. Reduces the likelihood of inappropriate, unnecessary or costly institutional liability in contractual agreements and terms or business arrangements by reviewing and/or preparing legal documents, such as contracts and leases.
- Participates in the formation of policies that involve legal issues and assesses the legal implications of policy decisions contemplated by president’s staff, as well as faculty, staff and student committees.
- Develops and interprets rules and guidelines concerning College activities to ensure compliance with international, federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as with relevant industry standards and practices.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses and attending training and/or courses as directed. Facilitates the establishment and continuance of appropriate and cooperative relationships between the College and external organizations related to legal issues and the development of proposed legislation/regulation.
- This position is designated as “emergency response personnel.” And as such is required to report to work when the college is delayed or closed.
- Provides requested legal opinions to the President and the senior leadership team.
- May be requested to present on issues, concerns, opinions at various meetings and to multiple constituents.
- Doctoral degree – Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association accredited law school with more than 8 years of relevant experience.
- Member of the Pennsylvania bar or membership within one year of employment.
- Previous experience in field of higher education law, required.
- Leadership role in campus law office or firm serving higher education clients, preferred.
Interested and qualified applicants are invited to apply on line at https://jobs.dickinson.edu
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. We encourage applications from all qualified persons.