Bradley University invites applications and nominations for an experienced and effective higher education attorney to serve in the newly created position of Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel. This position reports directly to the President.
The Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel is the Chief Legal Officer of the University, responsible for the management of all legal issues affecting the University and represents the University in all legal and administrative forums. The Vice President advises the Board of Trustees, the President, the Provost, Vice Presidents, and other staff/faculty regarding a wide range of issues, including contracts (including but not limited to employment, labor, vendor, subcontractor, leasehold, and licensing contracts), gifts and development, non-discrimination and affirmative action, conflicts of interest, student affairs, athletics, intellectual property, risk management and insurance, personnel and employment issues, academic freedom, and tenure issues. This position also supervises all facets of the Human Resource Department, coordinates all litigation involving the University, supervises outside counsel retained by the University and assists and interprets University policy and compliance with federal, state, local laws and regulations. This position will also serve as the Assistant Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise the President and Administrative Council on all matters related to policy, compliance, and legal issues
- Conduct research and analysis on a variety of legal issues including assisting in the development and implementation of the University's policies and procedures, recommending new ones, as needed, and revising existing ones, as appropriate
- Responsible for the delivery and management of all legal services, including analyzing laws, rules, regulations and proposed legislation
- Resolve litigation, manage outside counsel performing legal services for the University, and review all significant transactions and contracts
- Oversee and direct the document retention policies of the University
- Represent the University and/or its officials in formal legal proceedings and/or manage outside counsel in such matters
- Review and establish standards for University contracts and proposals and represent the University in negotiations and implementation of all collective bargaining agreements with unions representing University employees
- Supervise all activities of the Human Resource Department, review and recommend changes to employee policies, and monitor the implementation of all employee policies.
- Review and manage the University’s risk management efforts, interface with the University’s insurance consultants and insurers, and coordinate renewal and placement of University insurance policies
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel should possess the following:
- An understanding of the current issues in higher education
- An understanding of the mission of the University, higher education, the unique mission of private higher education, and the collaborative role of the faculty
- Successful management and administrative experience, preferably in a higher education organizational setting, with a proven ability to work cooperatively and collegially
- Demonstrated capacity for sound legal analysis and reasoning
- Problem solving, and legal research skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to complicated and sensitive problems
- Intellectual and conceptual flexibility and creativity, with the ability to interpret, present, and write
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with attention to detail, timeliness, and the University-wide context of decisions
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills that facilitate a cohesive, team oriented, working environment
- High degree of flexibility in order to meet current priorities and needs of the University
- Outstanding judgment in dealing with all kinds of people and circumstances
The Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel must have the following: a JD degree from an accredited law school; be a member of the Illinois State Bar and authorized to practice law in Illinois, or must gain admission to the Illinois bar within one year; seven or more years’ experience in practicing law and have experience with higher education work, preferably experience in a General/In-House Counsel office. Experience and knowledge of data protection laws & regulatory requirements, Title IX, disability laws & regulatory requirements, privacy laws & regulatory requirements, reporting laws like the Cleary Act & regulatory requirements, and employment laws/regulatory requirements are highly desired.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter addressing their qualifications for the position, current resume/vitae and complete contact information for a minimum of five (5) professional references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or via direct mail to Office of the President, Bradley University, Peoria, IL 61625. Review of application materials will begin November 13, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal background check. Starting date will be March 1, 2018 or as soon thereafter as possible.
Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.