Duke University is seeking an experienced employment attorney to work primarily on employment law matters for Duke University and Duke University Health System, Inc. Position will report to Deputy Counsel for Labor & Employment.
- Advise on federal laws, regulations and trends pertaining to employment, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the WARN Act, Title IX, and similar state laws. Make recommendations for policy changes as warranted by developing or changing law.
- Investigate and respond to EEOC and other agency complaints; conduct confidential investigations.
- Collaborate with client units and human resources units to identify areas of the laws or regulations where training would be helpful, and assist in that training if needed.
- Coordinate with outside counsel in the management of employment arbitrations and defense of litigation.
- Draft and review separation agreements; review covenants not to compete and other restrictions on employment; advise on multi-state employment issues.
- JD or LLB degree. Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina or become licensed within 12 months of employment preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of significant practice experience in employment law,preferably with higher education experience.
- Demonstrated competence in employment law and investigations.
- Works effectively in a high-volume environment.
- Personable and collaborative, with significant personal skills necessary to work in a complex team-oriented environment. Ability to provide calm, thoughtful, responsive legal advice in a high-volume setting.
Duke University offers an excellent benefits package and competitive compensation. For more information about this position and to apply, please visit https://hr.duke.edu/careers/apply and Duke University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action search for requisition 401362704. Duke University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.