Classification Title: Administrative Director
Working Title: Associate Legal Counsel
Brief Position Overview: Excellent opportunity to join the Montana University System legal team.
Position Number: 4E3216
Department: Legal Counsel
Division: President's Office
Appointment Type: Executive
Contract Term: Fiscal Year
Union Affiliation: Exempt from Collective Bargaining
Benefits Eligible: Eligible
Salary: $80,000 annually, commensurate with experience, education, and qualifications
Contract Type: Board of Regents
General Statement: The Associate Legal Counsel is part of the Montana University System legal team that consists of the Chief Legal Counsel, system office Associate Legal Counsel andMSUand UM Legal Counsel. TheMSUAssociate Legal Counsel reports directly to theMSULegal Counsel, and this position is located in Bozeman, MT.
The initial focus of this position will be the implementation of an institution-wide contracts management process and will evolve to assist the Legal Counsel in a wide range of legal duties for the university and system office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft contracts, policies, agreements, and other legal documents as needed for compliance with state and federal law and Board of Regents and university policies.
- Design and implement an institution-wide contracts management process.
- Assist the Legal Counsel in a wide variety of legal matters which may include conducting legal research, advising administrators on matters involving legal interpretations and related decisions, managing representation in litigation, investigations, or other legal or administrative proceedings, advising on pending legislation and/or assisting with compliance and intellectual property management.
- Review, maintain, update and create university policies and procedures as assigned to enable the university to accomplish its objectives.
- Participate in campus collective bargaining and management of labor grievances.
- Serve on university committees as designated by the Legal Counsel; attend Board of Regents meetings and participate in system-wide meetings as requested.
- Provide workshops, seminars or training sessions forMSUand affiliated campuses regarding legal issues in higher education.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Receipt of a Juris Doctorate degree from anABA-accredited law school.
- Licensed in good standing to practice law in the State of Montana or eligible to obtain licensure promptly after hiring.
- Progressive experience in active law practice.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Legal experience with public agencies preferred, including knowledge of public contracting, public operations and familiarity with government regulatory compliance and oversight.
- Experience implementing an organization-wide contracts management process.
The Successful Candidate Will
- Work effectively within an academic environment.
- Possess excellent legal negotiating, drafting and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate superior written and oral communication skills with the ability to understand and convey complex legal principles in readily understandable terms.
- Rapidly prioritize and execute on many conflicting demands and projects while exhibiting integrity and sound judgment.
- Demonstrate strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills.
- Perform well as part of a team of professionals in a highly visible organization.
Position Special Requirements/Additional Information
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts Montana State University’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed in this description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: upon completion of successful search
Applications will be: Screening of applications will begin onDecember 4, 2017; however, applications will continue to be accepted until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
Montana State University values diverse perspectives and is committed to continually supporting, promoting and building an inclusive and culturally diverse campus environment.MSUrecognizes the importance of work-life integration and strives to be responsive to the needs ofdual career couples.
Montana State University is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran’s status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. To request an accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, PO Box 172520, Montana State University, Bozeman MT 59717-2520; 406-994-3651;firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act,MSUprovides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference please complete the veteran’s preference information located in the Demographics section of your profile.
MSU’s Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on theMSUWebsite:www2.montana.edu/policy/affirmative_action/