FN2.   The approval also specifies an ending date, except in the case of F-1 (student) or J-1 (trainee) status.  Instead of a specific ending date, students and trainees generally have permission to remain in the United States for the “duration of status,” a term of art loosely meaning making “reasonable progress towards their degree”.  The university’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) officer must report a student’s departure from the school to USCIS, whether the reason for leaving is graduating, transferring to another school or dropping out.  Once the report is submitted, the former student is no longer in status, and therefore no longer allowed to remain in the United States, unless he has taken steps to remain through some other means.  Students have a 60-day grace period to leave, but can usually be authorized to remain for a year beyond graduation by obtaining an optional practical training employment authorization document (OPT EAD).  The OPT EAD may only be obtained with the assistance of the graduating student’s SEVIS officer.  An individual with an OPT EAD is still in F-1 status, subject to continuing supervision by the SEVIS officer.  Appendix A.